Need more information or have a question?
Beast Academy Online Contest
This year's Beast Academy Online Contest is now closed. Thank you to all who participated! Winners will be announced in May via email!
Participants earn points in the following manner:
- 500 points for every star earned in a lesson completed between August 15, 2020 and April 5, 2021, inclusively, up to 4,500 points per lesson. Please note that each lesson has multiple sets of problems. Only the student's best three attempts in each lesson earn points. So, if a student completes a lesson three times and receives 2 stars the first attempt, 3 stars the second attempt, 1 star the third attempt, and 2 stars the fourth attempt then that student earns (2+3+2)*500 = 3,500 points total. Also, if a student completed a lesson prior to August 15, 2020, then the student may complete the lesson again as review to earn points for the contest.
- 800 points for every trophy earned between August 15, 2020 and April 5, 2021.
- Students can only earn points by completing the lessons in their own enrolled grade level for this contest. For example, a student who enrolled in a 4th grade math class can only earn points for this contest by completing 4th grade lessons.
- Points are non-transferable; if the student switches to another class while the contest is ongoing, the points accumulated in their previous grade level cannot count toward their new grade level’s contest.
- Participants earn points both for completing homework lessons and for completing other Beast Academy Online lessons that are not assigned as part of homework.
The chapters will be gradually released throughout the year.
Ties will be broken based on the longest streak, with the student who had the most consecutive days earning points through the duration of the contest being ranked higher (note that this does not necessarily coincide with the student's current streak). In the event that two students also have the same longest streak, they will be tied in the ranking. For a day to count towards a student's streak, they must earn points prior to 11:59 PM local time. With this in mind, we encourage students to set aside a consistent time each day to work on math contest problems.
Please be aware that the listed rankings might not reflect actual student rank; final rankings will be determined manually per stated rules and officially announced at the end of the year.
Prizes for the top 10 students in each eligible course will be awarded after the contest ends. Top scorers will be awarded Amazon gift cards in the amounts shown below.
- 1st place: $100
- 2nd place: $75
- 3rd place: $50
- 4th - 6th place: $25
- 7th - 10th place: $10
Students must be enrolled in the corresponding course at AoPS Academy on April 5, 2021, to be eligible for a prize.
Students can start to earn points on August 15, 2020, but the scores and leaderboards will not be revealed here until sometime in early October.
Check out the Contest FAQs!
- Will my points in BAO match my points on the contest leaderboard?
- The points in BAO will not necessarily match the points in the leaderboard, due to differences in scoring, rules, and update times.
- How do I make sure that I have earned all of the available points?
- You can earn up to 4,500 points per lesson, and the student's best three attempts in each lesson earn points! So, if a student completes a lesson four times and receives 2 stars the first attempt, 3 stars the second attempt, 1 star the third attempt, and 2 stars the fourth attempt then that student earns (2+3+2)*500 = 3,500 points total. In order to earn all of the available points, students should try to earn three stars on each of their three tries per lesson. You can earn a trophy in some lessons for an extra 800 points!
- I have completed all of the problems that are currently unlocked. Is it possible to unlock the next section for me?
- There is no way to unlock future sections. However, participants earn points both for completing homework lessons and for completing other Beast Academy Online lessons that are not assigned as part of homework. Additionally, while students may have completed each lesson, students should try to complete each lesson three times to earn full points!
- Do the Lab puzzles and end-of-chapter tests count toward the contest?
- Unfortunately they do not. Points are only awarded for lesson stars and trophies.
- I did some of the lessons for my class in BAO before joining the academy class. Does this limit how many points I can get for those lessons?
- Only lessons that are completed while enrolled in an Academy class will be counted towards the leaderboard points. If a student completed a lesson prior to August 15, 2020, then the student may complete the lesson again as review to earn points for the contest.
- Why doesn’t my streak in BAO match my streak on the Leaderboard?
- The difference comes down to the rules in each. According to BOA, "A streak is the number of days in a row that you have played for at least 5 minutes in BA Online." Alternatively, the contest rules are "For a day to count towards a student's streak, they must earn points prior to 11:59 PM local time." Because of this rule, the streaks will sometimes not match, and the streak in BAO can definitely be longer than what is shown in the contest leaderboards, because a student can technically be logged into BAO without earning any points.